HabiTerre provides in-depth intelligence for agricultural land, including crop, water, nutrient, and carbon, from aboveground to belowground. Launched out of a world-class research lab at the University of Illinois, HabiTerre generates unprecedented field-scale intelligence for businesses in the food and agriculture industry. HabiTerre carries an ambitious mission to de-risk and sustain modern agriculture for humanity.
We use remote sensing, process models, and artificial intelligence to evaluate past, present, and future cropland performance, including crop rotation, management history, yield, water use, nutrient dynamics, and carbon sequestration. With a methodology that starts at the field level, allowing aggregation across any global region, we offer critical insights to businesses throughout the agriculture value chain.
Working at HabiTerre
We are an equal opportunity employer with a team around the country. We offer a workplace that is both casual and professional, and a culture that is committed to learning, fun, and excellence.
Our team consists of people who are passionate about creating insights-rich and intuitive customer experiences and, at the same time, obsess over performance and reliability of what we build. We challenge the status quo and strive towards finding the best way to solve problems.
The successful candidate will join our R&D team, which consists of a group of leading scientists and engineers in earth system modeling, remote sensing, software engineering and artificial intelligence. We work in small collaborative groups to keep things simple and efficient, and thus give a lot of autonomy to our staff members to perform the work required and be creative.
Open Job Opportunities:
- Apply technical expertise to implement testable, scalable and maintainable computer science algorithms. Drive roadmaps through your insights and recommendations.
- Work with large and complex remote sensing datasets to solve various challenging problems.
- Work collaboratively with the business team to understand customer needs and help shape business roadmap and vision.
- Influence product direction through clear and compelling presentations to leadership.
- Provide support to the company’s intellectual property counsel.
- BS in Computer Science or related technical field.
- 3+ Years experience in Python development.
- 2+ Years experience in implementing large-scale data processing and modeling pipelines on cloud computing platforms such as AWS, GCP and Azure.
- 2+ Experience in implementing machine learning and deep learning algorithms using Python ML/DL frameworks, such as PyTorch, Tensorflow, Scikit-Learn.
- Experience with parallel programming, Linux/UNIX and Shell scripting.
- Master’s or further education in computer science or other related fields.
- Experience in remote sensing and geospatial data processing.
Location: Champaign IL / Remote
- Develop scalable computation pipelines for process-based carbon models and integrate different sources of satellite data, in a high-performance computing environment (e.g. supercomputer and/or cloud computing platforms).
[Note: Major single components have been developed and tested; the major task here is to integrate different components to optimize computation efficiency.]
- Conduct model simulation and uncertainty analysis and ensure QA/QC.
- Document code and results and draft scientific reports for generated results.
- Work with product management and R&D team to productize.
- Generate deliverables upon customers’ requests and work to address customer needs and feedback.
- Effectively communicate scientific outcomes with customers.
- Automate and simplify team development, test, and operations processes.
- Provide necessary support to the company’s intellectual property counsel.
- Master in Earth Science, Environmental Science/Engineering, Atmospheric Science, Hydrological Science, or related technical field.
- 3+ Years of experience in Python development and scientific data visualization.
- 3+ Years of experience in using ecosystem or climate models or using model outputs.
- Proficiency with Linux/UNIX and Shell scripting and high-performance computing.
- Experience in implementing basic machine learning algorithms using Python ML/DL frameworks, such as PyTorch, Tensorflow, Scikit-Learn.
- Experience with developer’s tools, such as Pycharm, Jupyter, Spyder, Git, etc.
- Experience in production support, customer interaction, and troubleshooting.
- Comfortable with multi-tasking and working as part of a team.
- PhD degree in Earth Science, Environmental Science/Engineering, Atmospheric Science, Hydrological Science, or related technical field.
- Experience in process-based earth system models, ecosystem models, and/or biogeochemistry models.
- Experience in satellite remote sensing and geospatial data processing.
- Experience in model-data fusion methods, such as calibration, data assimilation, etc.
- Experience with MPI or other parallel computing architectures.
- Experience in developing and releasing highly scalable products.
- Possession of excellent oral and written technical communication skills.
- 2+ Years experience of implementing large-scale data processing and modeling pipelines on cloud computing platforms such as AWS, GCP and Azure.
- Industry-level competitive compensation, based upon relevant experience.
- This position provides stock options.
- This position is REMOTE or in Champaign, Illinois.
- This position considers sponsoring H1B visa application for qualified international applicants.